Sabado, Marso 31, 2012

MY PEDAGOGIC CREDO IN TEACHING SOCIAL STUDIES: A REFLECTION PAPER


SANDRO J. REBADIO
www.kinaadmanisandro.blogspot.com
7 March 2012


INTRODUCTION

I believe a teacher lives to serve. A teacher is dedicated to learning, to his or her discipline, to his or her students, and to making the future the best possible place for all of us to live. These are the challenges I accepted when I chose to be a teacher.

I graduated Bachelor in Elementary Education with concentration in Filipino in 2005 in Philippine Normal University-Agusan and entered graduate studies in Filipino Literature to boost up my knowledge more in Filipino language and Philippine literature. Fortunately, I was accepted to teach Filipino and Philippine literature subjects three years ago in Southway College of Technology. My years in the academe, really complement my desire in teaching Filipino and literature.

On the other hand, I’ve been teaching for almost five years. I was a volunteer teacher to four different public schools in a far flung multi-grade and a non-central schools bearing with challenges in my part before I am given a permanent position in the DepEd. My teaching experiences in different schools help me to reflect, grasp, and learned the culture of learning among marginalized people.

Presently, as a permanent public elementary teacher, I am teaching all subjects including the elementary Social studies IV.V and VI. The Fourth grade social studies focused on the political and geographical state of the country. On the other hand, Fifth grade introduce the history of the Filipino People. Meanwhile the sixth grade on the aspect of the socio-economic and political system of the country.

I deem that Social studies is closely related to literature. It narrates the story of the success and defeat of the Filipino people as Jarolimek (1990) elucidated the role of literature in social studies.

Literature and literary materials should play an important part in social studies instruction because they convey so well the affective dimension of human experience. The realism achieved through vivid portrayals in works of literature stirs the imagination of the young reader and helps develop a feeling for and identification with the topic being studied (p. 207).

I read reference books written by Teodoro Agoncillo and Zaide for historical facts. I’ve also started reading books of Manbel F. Martinez on his Historical Analysis of the Philippine Revolution, a critical approach to history, as simplicity, and Agoncillo’s The Revolt of the Masses: The Story of Bonifacio and the Katipunan. I loved documentary films, commentaries, editorials, talk shows, news and historical novels. As a teacher, I believe with the philosophy adhered by John Dewey on Pragmatism believing that learning achieved through application and practice of the knowledge acquired through education. Consequently, in the Basic Education Curriculum (BEC) wherein social studies anchored, Makabayan is dubbed as “laboratory of life”. Through this concept, learning can be evidently showed off application of the skills that can be useful for future lives.

GENERAL PRACTICES IN SOCIALS STUDIES EDUCATION
Contents and Pedagogy

For five years of teaching elementary Social Studies, I made a mechanism to illustrate, describe and discussed the topics in my own manner of teaching. The said topics, facts and concepts are essential in building good citizenship. I am strong in history and political science. As elementary Social Studies teacher, I utilized some useful social studies reference books in our Pagtuon Library Center for pupil’s additional readings anent to the implementation of our reading interventions in our school dubbed as Two Books A Year (TBAY) to develop pupils’ reading skills. I also utilized textbook as reference and materials in my teaching.

However, I’m not well expert in social studies but I read social studies books, textbooks, watch TV and movie documentaries and regularly read broadsheets commentaries, news and business sections

At this juncture, I admit that teaching social studies is very hard especially that our              pupils are not conditioned and motivated to learn. One factor is that they just take the subject easy to learned, full of memorization and “copy that and copy these”. This comment is hereby passed through generation to generation. The instructional time scheduled is also too little to enriched a particular topic.Sometimes, one topic can be extended in the next day.

Meanwhile, I sometimes felt boredom to teach elementary social studies. The contents are self explanatory and do not need further explication. I often assign pupils to read textbooks on their free time. On my discussion, I always have group activities, simulations,

SPECIFIC PRACTICES
Content and Pedagogy
History
In Philippine history, I am well read in Spanish period and Martial Law to EDSA time. Teaching history should be teach chronologically using event chains, graphic timelines and chronological organization of history with relationship of events to people and places. I used authentic materials in teaching history such as use of magazine, newspaper, news video clips, documentaries, investigatives and reference books. I always relate the significance of past events or historical facts to the present times to our everyday lives.

I am planning to attend summer seminar or congress in historiography and social studies respectively to keep abreast with the latest trends in teaching content in history and for affiliation. I think I should read more journals and books. I wanted to know more about history content.

I teach the second order concepts adhered by Peter J. Lee in his Putting Principles into Practice: Understanding History that state that students do not come to their classrooms empty-handed. They bring with them ideas based on their own experience of how the world works and how people are likely to behave. The concepts like time, change, empathy, cause, evidence and accounts in teaching and understanding history is indeed vital in teaching history. History should be taught in school as:
 “Without history, a society shares no common memory of where it has been, of what its core values are, or of what decisions of the past account for our present circumstances” (National Center for History in Schools (1996))
The people behind in the history of our nation should be exposed to our learners as guidance in building good citizenship and democracy through utilization of biographies, folk literature and narratives.

Geography

Elementary geography present basic geography concept .It is more discussed in elementary than in secondary education. I use globe in teaching identification of longitude, latitude.and other special lines. Map as a geographer’s tool serves as graphic representation of the earth’ surface that is vital for map skills instruction through locating places, direction, scale, interpreting map symbols and among others. I use the maps issued to us in by teachers like physical maps, political and climate maps for discussion and location. I don’t have knowledge yet in using geographic information system.

On the other hand, I believe that geography should be taught in school primarily because its core goal is that students should be knowledgeable and sensitive to make wise judgments about their environment; caring citizens.Hence, I joined with Dr. Chang Chew Hung in his paper’ Is Singapore’s School Geography Relevant to Our Changing World? I reflected that it is also timely, that the integration of climate change should be available in all learning areas, Chang elucidated in his concern to keep geography education curriculum relevant in our changing times. Thus, the need to add competencies in geography that concern with the awareness of our nature and environment should be intensified

Geography can be integrated in teaching history on the topic of history of place, land and water forms and historical figures and events. It can also integrated in economics and political science.Therefore, geography is a must topic in social studies throughout school year.

Political Science
In elementary political science, I am strong in teaching types and function of government and some part of constitution. Being a former student journalist, student leader, and with interest in mass media, and society, I admit that I really practice politics in the class by frequently expressing and sharing my political views in the national and local political state to my students as inputs in the classroom discussion after working on  activities. I have no in depth knowledge in interpreting laws and international politics.

 Activities like debate, small group discussion and the likes help their skills to think aloud and pour out their ideas about our national and local politics. However, most of my learners have little schema on the topics. As a result, learners will not directly generate opinions and views without teacher’s inputs.

For past years, I’ve been a school paper adviser and pupils ‘government adviser. I let my student writers to write their own opinion based on the current political issues.Meanwhile, student leaders enhance their leadership skills through executing their respective duties and responsibilities.

In my Filipino 2 subjects way back my tertiary teaching experience, I let my students gave feedback toward the government, reflecting on President’s SONA, analyzing the politicians trust ratings and other issues concerned with politics. Lecture method is a best in teaching political science. I explicitly state famous political dignitaries’ views to the class. I sometimes persuade them to believe on my views.However, I always open for their feedback and opinion.

In Stephen G. Hartlaub and Frank A. Lancaster’ Teacher Characteristics and Pedagogy in Political Science, the survey results exposed that faculty in the universities with more undergraduate students were more likely to use high percentage of lectures and less likely to use small group exercises, simulations among others.Hence, in this result revealed that class size can be factor that contribute to the teachers’ choice of teaching pedagogy.

Economics

I am more acquainted with microeconomics and with little schema in macroeconomics. I am familiar with Adam Smith on his free trade.Moreover, I am not familiar with the alternative economic theories.Honestly,in my chosen economic journal, I found difficulty in interpreting the statistical data presented in the paper by Richard Rigall-I-Torrent in his  Using Problem –based Learning for Introducing Producer Theory and Market Structure in Intermediate Microeconomics.However,the paper give more focus in PBL. In this approach, students learn content, strategies and self‐directed learning skills by collaborating to solve problems, reflecting on their experiences and engaging in self‐directed inquiry.

Economics is quite difficult for me. To augment this predicament, I watched Peso and Sense in GMA News TV to have knowledge in business and stock exchange for I don’t really know this economic practice.



SUMMARY
RECOMMENDATION FOR IMPROVEMENT OF PRACTICE

Classroom practice

Social studies texts in particular have been described as dull, disjointed and sanitized that they lack message or meaning (Sewall, 1988 as cited by Barbara J Guzzetti, Barbara J. Kowalinski and Tom McGowan [October 1992] p.114) with banal content and colorless prose. This criticism fits with our own experience as teacher and student, maybe because of the lack of teachers’ innovation and motivation to teach. In the existing implementation of the BEC, the Department of Education trained teachers to be an effective social studies teacher. The curriculum suggest the integrative model of teaching like the content- based instruction and thematic teaching .But in my observation, many teachers still remain in status qou.

I admit that I have little knowledge with the content. I must know the general facts in history, geography, economics and political science content. I must read and read research and reflect. Through this, I can suggest and proposed appropriate pedagogy in teaching the content. Assessment shall be materialized through performance based, rubrics and portfolio assessment.

Faculty development

I would like to include here the climate change awareness education, energy conservation, biodiversity, leadership, population education, religion and cultural education as part of topics to be considered in our challenging time. I will joined professional associations like the Philippine Historical Association and interested to attend the Social Studies Teachers Congress on May 7-9, 2012 by the National Historical Commission of the Philippines (NHCP) to discussed the K plus 12 curriculum and to form national association on Basic Education Social Studies teachers.Moreover, I want to subscribe in to professional and research journal to update the latest trends and issues.

Research

As social studies teacher, I would like to suggest research topic that would be relevant and significant in social studies education like teaching practices of the   Elementary Social Studies teachers in central, on-central schools, multigrade school, Madrasah and Indigenous People (tribal) schools, respectively. Also in the list is the least learned and least developed skills in social studies as basis for professional development, the Filipino cultural  and personality implication in the implementation of the Conditional Cash Transfer(CCT) or Pantawid Pamilyang Pilipino Program(4P’s) on Education and the development of social studies curriculum design to Special Education(SPED) learners, The impact of Supreme Pupils’/Student Government in promoting civic competence, and The use of internet as text reference in teaching Social Studies and other learning areas as basis for curriculum and personnel  development.

Community service
As citizen in this country, it is my duty to remain loyal to our country, teaching my students to patronize our own talents, tourism and products will be greatly helpful to encourage my students to bear prestige and honor as Filipino.

In our NCBTS-TSNA, teachers are required to involve in the community as our social responsibility. Last year, I’ve organize the clean up drive program in Causwagan Elementary School scheduled every Wednesday in any part of the barangay and the yearly tree planting program among graduating pupils not purely as requirement but for the cause.

I want to organize a basic literacy program or a reading program among Manobo tribal community in our nearby barangay. Beautification and tropical landscaping project in our barangay park with the help of my pupils will be also great idea to contribute cleanliness of my community. Moreover, I am wanted to organize an advocacy program related to the destruction of our rivers that brought about to the frequent occurrence of flash floods in our province.

__________________

Reference cited:

Dynamic Social Studies for Constructivist Classrooms, 8th Edition (2006) Pearson Education, Inc.Upper Saddle River, New Jersey 07458

Barbara J Guzzetti, Barbara J. Kowalinski and Tom McGowan (October 1992) Using a Literature- Based Approach to Teaching Social Studies, Journal of Reading, Vol.36, No.2, p.114
Retrieved:7 December 2011 from: http://www.jstor.org/stable/40016443

Andi Stix Ed.D. & Marshall George (1999) Using Multi-Level Young Adult Literature in the Middle School American Studies. Retrieved from:06:12PM, 14 December,2011,from:
http://www.interactiveclassroom.com/pdf/Using_Multilevel_Young_Adult_Literature_in_Middle_School_Social_Studies.pdf


Appendix

Appendix 1: Dulog Center-Beysd na Pagkatuto na Banghay Aralin sa HEKASI VI

Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento